Opinion polls show coalition government is under significant pressure

After two months since the September elections the SYRIZA-led coalition government appears to be under significant pressure…

After two months since the September elections the SYRIZA-led coalition government appears to be under significant pressure, shows an opinion poll carried out by Kapa Research. When asked which party they would vote for today, the respondents answered the following:

SYRIZA

18.4%

New Democracy

14.9%

Golden Dawn

5.6%

Democratic Alignment
(PASOK/DIMAR)

4.5%

Communist Party of Greece

4.4%

Union of Centrists

2.3%

The River

2.2%

Independent Greeks

2.1%

Popular Union

1.9%

Other party

3.5%

White/blank

6.1%

Undecided

15.9%

Abstention

18.2%

When asked who is a more suitable Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras (41.8%) remains in the lead over New Democracy’s leading candidate in its presidential elections Evangelos Meimarakis (28.5%), with 29.7% of respondents being uncertain.

Should the coalition government lose its majority in Parliament, 37.8% believe that a national unity government with the participation of New Democracy must be formed, 25.8% argue that general elections must be called and 23.5% favor an alliance with the ‘centrist’ parties such as PASOK, the River and the Union of Centrists, while 9.1% responded that different actions should be taken and 3.8% had no response.

The survey shows that 59.6% stated that the bank recapitalization and approval of prior actions in Parliament were positive developments, although the situation remains critical, while 7.8% argue they are positive developments because they will bring stability. On the contrary 31.3% claim that they are negative developments, since the measures will be very painful and 1.3% had no response.

The respondents were high critical of the Prime Minister’s actions in crucial decisions, with only 33.8% supporting his decision to carry out a referendum in July, 33% supporting the clash with creditors that was spearheaded by former Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis and 29.5% agreeing with the September elections. Additionally, only 28.7% had a positive view of the third bailout agreement and only 25.4% favored the new alliance with the Independent Greeks.

Pension reform

The pension reform has split the Greek people, with 45.7% believing that is possible to avoid any pension cuts, compared to 48.6% who believe that cuts are unavoidable (5.7% did not respond). Nevertheless, 56.2% underlined that the reform must ensure sustainability in the long term, even if there are painful measures, compared to 28.8% who argued that the focus must be on addressing immediate problems, with an overall overhaul to be postponed for later (15% had no response).

In order to make the pension system sustainable 35.6% support increasing insurance contributions for employers and employees alike, 25.1% support raising the age of retirement, while 25.1% believe that reducing pensions is the answer and 27.5% had no opinion. An overwhelming 77.7% argued that the new system must establish common rules for all, with the gradual abolition of exemptions; 68.4% believe all pension funds must merge; 64.2% claim a national pension that will be funded by taxes must be introduced and 37% claim that contributions must be temporarily increased to avoid further cuts.

Refugees, terrorism and Islam

In relation to the refugee crisis, 60.5% believe that coordination with the European Union is necessary in order efficiently receive, accommodate and relocate refugees, while 24.9% want to close the borders and 10.9% claim that closer cooperation with Turkey is needed. About 4% had no opinion. A 62.8% of respondents commented that peaceful Muslims living in Europe must not be confused with radical extremists, while 36.2% claimed that Islam was a “threat” to Europe.

When asked how they felt about the recent terror attacks in Paris, 45.6% replied that they felt anger, 14.1% pain, 15.2% solidarity, 15.9% far and 8.7% another emotion, while 0.5% did not respond. Additionally, the survey showed that respondents were also split on the possibility of a serious terrorist attack in Greece, with 50.8% believe that there is very little to no chance and 47.6% believing an attack was probable (1.6% had no opinion).

Ακολουθήστε στο Google News και μάθετε πρώτοι όλες τις ειδήσεις
Δείτε όλες τις τελευταίες Ειδήσεις από την Ελλάδα και τον Κόσμο, από
Δείτε επίσης
International
ΒΗΜΑτοδότης
Σίβυλλα
Helios Kiosk