Seven companies found guilty of polling the Asopos River
The Misdemeanor Court of Thebes has handed out guilty sentences to seven companies and sentences to their legal…
The Misdemeanor Court of Thebes has handed out guilty sentences to seven companies and sentences to their legal representatives for repeatedly undermining the environment, resulting in serious danger of bodily harm and death.
The seven companies were specifically found guilty for polluting the Asopos River in Viotia, which in turn has drastically affected the aquifer in Thebes, Inofita and Schimatari.
The guilty firms and their sentences are as follows:
- Alumnico S.A. – 3 years imprisonment and 30,000 euro fine
- ICR Ioannou S.A. – 6 months imprisonment and 10,000 euro fine
- Galvanistiria Ellados S.A. – 6 months imprisonment and 10,000 euro fine
- Viometale S.A. –1 year imprisonment and 15,000 euro fine
- Vafiki S.A. – 6 months imprisonment and 1,000 euro fine
- EAV S.A. – 1 year imprisonment and 20,000 euro fine
- BLK Aluminium Industry S.A. – 6 months imprisonment and 2,000 euro fine
All of the companies have appealed the courts decision, while the Deputy Regional Governor of Viotia Giorgos Moulkiotis praised the court’s ruling for vindicating the struggle to maintain and enforce environmental law, while slamming the government for not keeping its promises.